Friday 15 January 2016

Hindsight Haunts the Day. Exmouth, Devon

Thursday 14th January     Strong NW         Cold and sunny

Only one target today, the bonaparte's gull hopefully at Exmouth. I should have made this the priority three days back and gone there after Bowling Green RSPB reserve instead of heading for Dawlish Warren. Green Birding on my scale depends on the rare birds with opportunities for the more common species presenting themselves along the way.
Oh well, today I may rectify my mistake.
The cycle ride around the whole of the Exe Estuary is easy along the cycle way and my old comedy song repertoire keeps me going. I am busy doing nothing, working the whole day through, with positive thinking bringing me sunshine.

For five hours I search the Exmouth seafront. For five hours I look out across to Dawlish Warren in strong sunshine but bitingly cold wind. Joined by three Devon birders but still no Boneys.
Mark, the main gull man goes off to try another area and phones back. He has found a glaucous gull. Everyone hightails off to find Mark and the gull. I try to find them all. Can't. In panic I search the seafront but no birders. I search the far sandbanks. No Glaucous!

I retrace my cycle route back to the Red House over yonder without an addition to the year list. Will that glaucous come back to haunt me?


The Green Year list still stands at 115, fifteen ahead of where I was at this time last year.


25.33 miles 708 feet elevation up 778 feet elevation down

No comments:

Post a Comment

BB 2010 Oops, crash and a motorway Abominable Snowman in Hemel Hempstead January 5th

5 th January                                                            Tragedy                                              The Bee Gees   ...